Christie Calucchia of MYDOMAINE showcases 11 yoga poses that will help strengthen your core.
Sit-ups and crunches have long been the norm when it comes to strengthening the abdominal muscles, but there are alternatives to these oft-begrudged exercises. One such alternative is yoga, the unsung hero of core-strengthening exercises. According to Miami-based yoga instructor Rosario Chozas, having a good posture that is able to hold up your body in a comfortable meditative pose is at the root of traditional yoga. "To develop a good posture means you have to develop a good core (front and back) and that is what OG yoga was designed to do," she explains.
Here are the eleven yoga poses to strengthen your core.
1) Tadasana Pose
2) Uttanasana (Halfway Lift)
3) Virabhadrasana Three Variation I
4) Virabhadrasana Three Variation II
5) Uttanasana to Chaturanga Dandasana
6) Ardha Pincha Mayurasana
7) Ardha Pincha Mayurasana With Leg Lifts
8) Ardha Pincha Mayurasana Plank
9) Vashistasana (Side Plank)
10) Ardha Pincha Mayurasana to Adho Mukha Savasana
11) Plank to Chaturanga Dandasana